Wednesday 13 April 2011

30 Day Song Challenge

After reading Boganette's rockin' good list I thought I should create my own... so here goes... my 30 Day Song Challenge....

01 - Your favorite song 
That is a mighty big question to ask up front!
A hard one to answer - but for overall beauty and simplicity I'm going to say Across the Universe by the Beatles

02 - Your least favorite song
I hate music and artists who pretend to be something they're not! This is the reason I think Avril is worse than Britney by pretending to be a punk goddess when she is little more than a pop star - at least Britney isn't fake about her fakeness.
I agree that I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry is an awful song (she hasn't even kissed a girl). I hate chicks who cash in on that faux lesbian shiz.

03 - A song that makes you happy
It works when I'm angry, in a bad mood, grumpy or just feeling 'meh'. The rhythm, the pulse, the lyrics and the attitude! The perfect punk rock song x

04 - A song that makes you sad
I'm a pretty big sap when it comes to sad songs - but nothing brings out the sap in me more than country music, especially the Dixie Chicks and these ones in particular get me...
When You Were Mine - about an affair and separation - I always tear up on the lyric "I can give you two good reasons to show you loves not blind. He's two & she's four and you know they adore you, so how can I tell them you changed your mind." *SOB*

And then there's the tragically beautiful Top of the World. Goosebumps.

05 - A song that reminds you of someone
My dad used to sing the chorus of this to me when I was a kid - awww loves it.

06 - A song that reminds you of somewhere  
Roxane's basement in Titirangi - hanging out, being totally cool teenagers, making schemes, shooting pool, being bad-ass (at least we thought we were).
We were so awesome - this song takes me right back to that time...Peaches En Regalia

07 - A song that reminds you of a certain event 
This music is oh so terrible, but it takes me back to my month long holiday in Croatia in 2004. For that reason alone this music holds a special place for me...Za tvoje snene oči by Colonia (I always thought that was a man singing!).

08 - A song that you know all the words to 
I'm quiet sad so know the lyrics to more songs than any person should -even songs I hate! But when I want to show off quoting Bohemian Rhapsody goes down a treat.

09 - A song that you can dance to
The Doors The End. I have the most amazing free-form choreography to go with this epic song - created by one of my bffs & me partially to embarrass our dear friend Lucy. It involves skipping, wriggling, jerking, twisting & arm flapping.

10 - A song that makes you fall asleep
In a bad way - pretty much anything by Coldplay! In a good, relaxing way Stardust by Dave Brubeck

11 - A song from your favorite band 
My favourite band has gotta be the greatest band in the world - Blood & Laughter. And I love me some Amigo!

12 - A song from a band you hate
I don't even like posting this on my blog! *Gag* Midnight Youth

13 - A song that is a guilty pleasure
Probably songs from musicals! Especially Rocky Horror, Hairspray and Chicago.
I like to loop this song on my iPod every now and then. Extremely cheesy and catchy, but with intelligent lyrics... The Nicest Kids in Town

14 - A song that no one would expect you to love
People who know me know I have a soft spot for metal, but those who haven't known me long are surprised to learn I have a love for head banging out to the likes of Slayer

15 - A song that describes you
Heaps of my friends have songs with their names in them - Laura, Roxane, Penelope, Lucy, etc. But I have yet to track one with my name down.
So instead I'd like to think these describes me....in my head... Billionaire or Boys Want to Be Her by Peaches

16 - A song that you used to love but now hate 
I don't hate any songs I used to love, but several have been killed by overplay on the radio and are now in the like category.

17 - A song that you hear often on the radio
This was on overload in the USA - the last time I really listened to the radio.

18 - A song that you wish you heard on the radio 
See answer number 3

19 - A song from your favorite album
I'm sure this could change, but my current favourite album is The Fox Confessor Brings the Flood by Neko Case - The song Hold On, Hold On makes me want to sing, to play and to daydream... I made a tape of the album to play in my car and this song got all distorted.

"I leave the party at three a.m.
Alone, thank God
With a valium from the bride
It's the devil I love
And that's as funny as real love
And that's as real as true love"

20 - A song that you listen to when you’re angry
This is one angry song by Mr Dylan Positively 4th Street (this is a cover - for some reason Dylan isn't on YouTube)
Or there's always something more shouty - like this

21 - A song that you listen to when you’re happy  
Janelle Monáe - Tightrope (pictured) Love her style, her music, everything! she is just so talented and this song makes me bop in the car, on the tube, in the house. I think this is the best concept album in years. If I ever have a daughter I want Janelle to be her inspiration!

22 - A song that you listen to when you’re sad 
Don't Forget Me by Neko Case - sad, but not in a 'I wanna kill myself' kind of way.

23 - A song that you want to play at your wedding 
So many songs - My boyfriend thinks this one by Rage Against the Machine
I think this is a good knees up... Golem Hora - If they would play for me I'd be over the moon!
"Have a tequila, have a tequila, have a tequila, just one more!"

24 - a song that you want to play at your funeral 
This speaks for itself really Non, Je Ne Regrette Rein - and the french version please!
"My life, my day, today, they started with you"

25 - a song that makes you laugh
Other than comedy songs (and there are plenty of those) Kiss Me I'm Sh*tfaced by the Dropkick Murphys always makes me smile.
"I can bench press a car, I'm an ex football star
with degrees from both Harvard and Yale
Girls just can't keep up, I'm a real love machine
I've had far better sex while in jail"

You think he's just some cocky, showoff, but then comes the switch at the end...

"Who am I shitting?
I'm a pitiful sight, and I ain't all that bright
I'm definitely not chiseled from stone
I'm a cheat and a liar, no woman's desire
I'll probably die cold and alone"

26 - A song that you can play on an instrument
Not wanting to be a showoff, but I am a musician so can play quiet a few! Not all that well, but you can tell what song they are supposed to be if you listen really hard.

27 - A song that you wish you could play
This one! My grade six piano fingers can only dream... Flight of the Bumble Bee

28 - A song that makes you feel guilty 
Guilty?! Music does not ever make me feel guilty! I guess listening to the above song makes me feel guilty for not practicing the piano more often.

29 - A song from your childhood
Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding. I remember my dad playing this on our crusty old record player in the basement of our house. This was well before it was done up - just an old concrete room with a bookcase made out of bricks and planks of wood and a big rug on the floor.

30 - Your favorite song at this time last year
Way back when I had this song on an almost permanent loop. Thanks A Lot by Neko Case.

1 comment:

  1. across the universe is a fab song ! w

    www.streetandcityphotos.com

    ReplyDelete